UCCE Master Gardeners of El Dorado County
The UCCE Master Gardeners of El Dorado County opened their Sherwood Demonstration Garden for the second Season on April 1st. They have held many gardening classes there with many more to come. Come out and enjoy the garden and get some great ideas for your landscape.
Fridays and Saturdays
9 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Closed on rainy days or when temperatures reach over 95 degrees.
Garden Tips for June
- Thin apples when ½” diameter.
- Mow general cleanup for fire protection..
- Mulch garden beds to retain moisture and encourage deep roots by deep and infrequent watering.
- Check sprinklers and drip systems for needed repairs and adjustments.
- Water early in the day to conserve water and minimize plant disease.
- Pinch back tips of chrysanthemums, fuchsias, marguerites.
- Tie up vines and stake tall growing dahlias, gladiolas, and lilies.
- For continued bloom, cut off spent flowers.
- Hang strips of foil or CD’s in fruit trees to help deter birds.
- First summer pruning for stone fruit.
- Thin grapes.
- Dig and divide crowded bulbs if the tops have died down.
- Give your indoor plants a bath.
- Place a 1” board under pots sitting on pavement to insulate them from radiated heat.
- Thoroughly clean debris from ponds, fountains and bird baths.
- Check dates of Master Gardener classes.
Got a Gardening Question?
Master Gardeners of El Dorado County are here to answer your gardening questions!
- Office hours: 9-Noon, Tuesday—Friday
- Phone: 530-621-5512
- Email: email@example.com
- On-line: Ask a Master Gardener
- Walk-ins welcome: 311 Fair Lane, Placerville CA 95667
Bring a sample for identification, or drop by to ask questions. If you bring a sample, please put plant material in a plastic bag. For insect identification, don't bring them alive! Please preserve insects in a container with rubbing alcohol, or by freezing. Samples may be left at the main building from 1-5 p.m. Monday through Friday for a future call from a Master Gardener.
Master Gardener Calendar
Would you like a Monthly Newsletter and up-to-date information about Public Education Classes (changes) and Events from the Master Gardeners? Sign up on our Electronic Email Distribution List.