UCCE Master Gardeners of El Dorado County
Garden Tips for April
- Pinch chrysanthemums back to 6 inches every month through July.
- Trim dead flowers but not leaves, from spring bulbs.
- Mulch cane berries, cut out all old canes and reset new canes in twine.
- Cultivate and pull weed seedling now to prevent bloom.
- Check irrigation system and perform maintenance as needed.
- Check hoses as needed for fire protection.
- Prune apples, pears, any shoot tips with powdery mildew or fireblight; azaleas, rhododendrons, flowering fruit trees after bloom if needed, spring flowering shrubs, frost-damaged growth.
- Mow or cultivate grass around orchards to discourage thrips and plant bugs.
- Best time for cleft graphing.
- Control slugs, snails and earwigs with traps or barriers.
- Thoroughly clean debris from ponds, fountains and bird baths.
- Remove ladder fuels on your property that can increase how fast fire spreads.
- Check dates of Master Gardener classes.
Got a Gardening Question?
Master Gardeners of El Dorado County are here to answer your gardening questions!
- Office hours: 9-Noon, Tuesday—Friday
- Phone: 530-621-5512
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- On-line: Ask a Master Gardener
- Walk-ins welcome: 311 Fair Lane, Placerville CA 95667
Bring a sample for identification, or drop by to ask questions. If you bring a sample, please put plant material in a plastic bag. For insect identification, don't bring them alive! Please preserve insects in a container with rubbing alcohol, or by freezing. Samples may be left at the main building from 1-5 p.m. Monday through Friday for a future call from a Master Gardener.
Master Gardener Calendar
Would you like a Monthly Newsletter and up-to-date information about Public Education Classes (changes) and Events from the Master Gardeners? Sign up on our Electronic Email Distribution List.