UCCE Master Gardeners of El Dorado County
Garden Tips for June
- Thin apples when ½” diameter.
- Mow general cleanup for fire protection..
- Mulch garden beds to retain moisture and encourage deep roots by deep and infrequent watering.
- Check sprinklers and drip systems for needed repairs and adjustments.
- Water early in the day to conserve water and minimize plant disease.
- Pinch back tips of chrysanthemums, fuchsias, marguerites.
- Tie up vines and stake tall growing dahlias, gladiolas, and lilies.
- For continued bloom, cut off spent flowers.
- Hang strips of foil or CD’s in fruit trees to help deter birds.
- First summer pruning for stone fruit.
- Thin grapes.
- Dig and divide crowded bulbs if the tops have died down.
- Give your indoor plants a bath.
- Place a 1” board under pots sitting on pavement to insulate them from radiated heat.
- Thoroughly clean debris from ponds, fountains and bird baths.
- Check dates of Master Gardener classes.
Position Vacancy Announcement
Area Cooperative Extension Livestock & Natural Resources Advisor
Location Headquarters: Sonora, Tuolumne County, CA
Got a Gardening Question?
Master Gardeners of El Dorado County are here to answer your gardening questions!
- Office hours: 9-Noon, Tuesday—Friday
- Phone: 530-621-5512
- Email: email@example.com
- On-line: Ask a Master Gardener
- Walk-ins welcome: 311 Fair Lane, Placerville CA 95667
Bring a sample for identification, or drop by to ask questions. If you bring a sample, please put plant material in a plastic bag. For insect identification, don't bring them alive! Please preserve insects in a container with rubbing alcohol, or by freezing. Samples may be left at the main building from 1-5 p.m. Monday through Friday for a future call from a Master Gardener.
Master Gardener Calendar
Would you like a Monthly Newsletter and up-to-date information about Public Education Classes (changes) and Events from the Master Gardeners? Sign up on our Electronic Email Distribution List.