UCCE Master Gardeners of El Dorado County
Garden Tips for January
- Keep an eye on the weather report - protect frost-tender plants when the temperature falls below 32 degrees.
- Divide perennials like daylilies and chrysanthemums. Prune crepe myrtles, cane berries, and roses, and clean-up trimmings.
- Prune plum, pluot, apple, and pear trees 15-20%; cherries 10%; and peaches 50%.
- Mulch, water, and cover tender plants to protect from frost. Be sure to remove coverings during the day.
- The birds stay in Northern California through the winter. Since flowers are scarce in most gardens now, it’s important to keep your feeder filled; clean and refill it every few days.
- Get informed about Firewise Landscaping and make a plan for your property.
- Check dates of Master Gardener classes.
Sustainable Organic Gardening Workshop
February, 23, 2019
Got a Gardening Question?
Master Gardeners of El Dorado County are here to answer your gardening questions!
- Office hours: 9-Noon, Tuesday—Friday
- Phone: 530-621-5512
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- On-line: Ask a Master Gardener
- Walk-ins welcome: 311 Fair Lane, Placerville CA 95667
Bring a sample for identification, or drop by to ask questions. If you bring a sample, please put plant material in a plastic bag. For insect identification, don't bring them alive! Please preserve insects in a container with rubbing alcohol, or by freezing. Samples may be left at the main building from 1-5 p.m. Monday through Friday for a future call from a Master Gardener.
Master Gardener Calendar
Would you like a Monthly Newsletter and up-to-date information about Public Education Classes (changes) and Events from the Master Gardeners? Sign up on our Electronic Email Distribution List.