UCCE Master Gardeners of El Dorado County
Garden Tips for September
- Compost disease-free annuals and vegetable crops that have finished producing.
- Cultivate and add compost to the soil for fall and winter vegetables and annuals.
- Dig, divide, and replant overgrown perennials as they finish blooming.
- Weed and amend beds before replanting.
- If not purchased pre-chilled, put tuilip, narcissus, and hyacinth bulbs in the refrigerator for 6 weeks prior to planting.
- Sow native bunch grass seed on bare slopes to prevent erosion.
- Mulch cane berries.
- Consider extending vegetable season with floating row cover, mulch, or plastic domes. (Gallon milk containers with the bottom removed work well.)
- Check dates of Master Gardener classes.
Got a Gardening Question?
Master Gardeners of El Dorado County are here to answer your gardening questions!
- Office hours: 9-Noon, Tuesday—Friday
- Phone: 530-621-5512
- Email: email@example.com
- On-line: Ask a Master Gardener
- Walk-ins welcome: 311 Fair Lane, Placerville CA 95667
Bring a sample for identification, or drop by to ask questions. If you bring a sample, please put plant material in a plastic bag. For insect identification, don't bring them alive! Please preserve insects in a container with rubbing alcohol, or by freezing. Samples may be left at the main building from 1-5 p.m. Monday through Friday for a future call from a Master Gardener.
Master Gardener Calendar
Would you like a Monthly Newsletter and up-to-date information about Public Education Classes (changes) and Events from the Master Gardeners? Sign up on our Electronic Email Distribution List.